Do you need to apostille your US Driver’s License for a Portuguese Driver’s License? Have you been told that you can drive in Portugal if you notarize and apostille a color copy of your driver’s license?
If you have a valid driver’s license and want to exchange it for a Portuguese driver’s license, you may be able to do so by following these steps:
- Check if your driver’s license is valid in Portugal: The Portuguese government allows certain foreign driver’s licenses to be exchanged for a Portuguese driver’s license. Check the official website of the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service (SEF) to see if your driver’s license is eligible.
- In order to obtain an apostille on your driver’s license, you will need to make a color copy of your driver’s license and meet with a local notary public. Depending on the state, either the notary will copy certify your license or you will need to attest to it’s authenticity with a sworn statement and signature. The notary will then notarize the document. Mail in your notarized color copy with our order forms for processing. Do not mail in the original driver’s license.
- Gather other necessary documents: You will need to provide other documents, such as proof of residence in Portugal, proof of identity, and proof of payment of fees. You may also need to apostille your FBI background check for Portugal.
- You can submit your application to exchange your California driver’s license for a Portuguese driver’s license at any Portuguese driving license office. You will need to provide all the required documents and pay the applicable fees.
- Pass a driving test (if necessary): Depending on your age, driving experience, and the type of vehicle you want to drive, you may need to pass a driving test to obtain a Portuguese driver’s license.
It’s important to note that the process for exchanging a foreign driver’s license for a Portuguese driver’s license can vary depending on the specific circumstances of each individual. Therefore, it is recommended to consult with the local authorities or a legal professional for further guidance.
Obtaining an apostille on a driver’s license can be complicated. Don’t leave this process to untrained employees or non-professionals who do not fully understand the apostille process and the unique requirements of certain countries. Your paperwork could be rejected costing you time and money. Don’t let this happen to you!
Our staff is available Monday-Saturday from 9am to 6pm to answer your questions and provide you easy to follow-step-by-step instructions. Please call us at 1-800-850-3441.