An apostille is a form of authentication for a legal document, such as a birth certificate, that allows it to be recognized in another country who is a member of the Hague Apostille Convention. To obtain an apostille for your birth certificate, you need to follow these steps:
- Obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate from the issuing authority, such as the vital records office in the state or country where you were born. In the United States, we recommend that you contact the County Clerk’s office or State Registrar.
- Check the requirements of the country where the birth certificate will be used to make sure it meets their criteria for an apostille. For example, in the state of California, a birth certificate issued from the Health Department will require the County Clerk to authenticate the Doctor’s signature.
- Contact the appropriate authority to obtain the apostille. In the United States, this is typically the Secretary of State in the state where the birth certificate was issued. For example, if the birth certificate originates from California, you will need a California apostille.
- Provide the certified copy of your birth certificate and any required fee or documentation to the appropriate authority. Please contact our office so we can email you the instructions and order forms.
- Wait for the apostille to be processed, which can take several days or weeks depending on the authority. The estimated processing time can be found here: Apostille Processing Time
- Once the apostille is processed, the state will attach it to your birth certificate, certifying that the document is authentic and can be recognized in the country where it will be used.
Obtaining an apostille for your birth certificate can be complicated and time-consuming. Don’t leave this process to untrained employees or non-professionals who do not fully understand the apostille process and the unique requirements of certain countries. Your paperwork could be rejected costing you time and money. Don’t let this happen to you!
Our staff is available Monday-Saturday from 9am to 6pm to answer your questions and provide you easy to follow-step-by-step instructions. Please call us at 1-800-850-3441.
Click on the download image to your left to get started. Our apostille service is fast, convenient, and saves you time and money.